Tuesday nights this month I’ll be teaching a seminar on the craft of fiction at my new local: The Pioneer Valley Writers’ Workshop, a new endeavor started by Joy Baglio within the past year. For writers in my new adopted home area of Northampton, MA and its environs, this will be a wonderful new opportunity to meet, write, share, and learn. More here: pioneervalleywriters.org
Fiction Writing: The Craft of Connecting with Readers
In this course, students will focus on writing the kind of clean and gripping prose they’ve loved to read their whole lives. You know the feeling when a sense of reading falls away and you find yourself immersed in a book’s action, tied to the narrator’s struggle, and watching each scene unfold in your mind’s eye? That’s the kind of prose we’ll be working toward creating in this class.
Our first and possibly most surprising lesson: You don’t need a fascinating, multi-layered outline or a stellar plot concept to write like this. Instead we’ll be looking at how writer and reader connect, and build the craft elements necessary to pull readers in and to keep them eagerly turning pages. Students will develop work through exercises in the use of dialogue, visual action, and creating three-dimensional characters in scenes. This class meets four times. Open to writers of all levels and genres.
In this audio, I talk a bit at the open about what you’re getting, what’s coming up, and give a new pre-release pitch for THE MALTESE JORDANS.
Thanks to Mark Yoshimoto Nemcoff for the quickie intro at the open. It’s great to hear from an old friend in the game. I’ll have more from him coming up soon for you. What a voice on that guy!
Included content in this episode:
- Short history of my publishing career.
- Why I’m using Patreon now.
- Updates on what’s to come in the near future.
- Pitch content and new info about THE MALTESE JORDANS
- I answer some cool listener questions
- Pre-release reading of the first chapter of the book.
Enjoy! Want to go ahead and get in on a Patreon subscription for upcoming work? Go here.
You can also see links in the video here of my process in Scrivener, a tour of the Patreon page, all the funny faces, my sneakers, and more.
Full video on YouTube: https://youtu.be/kVB8_SnDS4M
I’m going forward with the online live session tomorrow night to answer questions, talk about why I’m doing Patreon, what this means, and get all the necessary details for you on THE MALTESE JORDANS.
Mainly, I want to get in touch and say hey.
If you’d like to join, please use the following link and come out tomorrow, Wednesday, April 26th starting at 8:30 Eastern. We’ll wrap up around 9:00. If you’re on the Pacific Side of things, that’s 5:30 to 6:00. 🙂
Here’s how to attend:
Join from PC, Mac, Linux, iOS or Android: https://zoom.us/j/190665239
You’ll have to download some Zoom software that you may not already have going, but if you don’t want to do that, you can use phone lines below, or use the following link to find the live action via Kickstarter:
Have you wanted to study with me in the past but been put off by the high price tags and fancy reputation of Stanford and Harvard? Well, now’s the time and here’s the way to come study with me for four weeks in March via the site LitReactor.
Here’s the full course description:
You know the feeling when the sense of reading falls away, and you find yourself completely immersed in a book’s action? Seth Harwood is here to teach you how to do just that: Engage.
You’ll learn how to write the kinds of books that connect with the reader so strongly, the act of reading falls away and they find themselves immersed in a book’s action, tied to the narrator’s struggle, watching each scene unfold in their mind’s eye.
The first and possibly most surprising lesson: You don’t need a fascinating, multi-layered outline or a stellar plot concept to write like this. Instead you’ll look at how writers and readers connect, building the craft elements necessary to pull readers in and keep them turning the pages.
Students will develop work through exercises in the use of dialogue, visual action, and creating three-dimensional characters in scenes, examining the books of writers like Michael Connelly, Stacey Richter, and Jim Thompson, as well as craft essays by Stephen King and Frank Conroy. You’ll learn from your predecessors while building a vocabulary of analytical tools.
July 24, 2016—Reading at Borderlands Books, San Francisco.
At 3PM that Sunday I’ll be reading a selection from my newest crime novel EVERYONE PAYS!
The lucky patrons at my all-time favorite bookstore: Borderlands Books will also get to ask YOUR BOY those burning questions and get that custom book inscription which makes all my novels just that much more special on your bookshelf!
Borderlands Books is located in San Francisco’s well-known Mission (District). It’s also the place that carried my crime novel JACK WAKES UP before it was picked up by Random House. Borderlands Books is special to the podcast community having hosted podcast authors and continually believing in our audiences LONG BEFORE anyone else. The store, located in San Francisco at 866 Valencia Street is also unique in that it only sells new and used books of the Science-Fiction, Fantasy, Mystery and Horror genres.
Can’t make the event, but you seriously need that autographed edition? It’s covered! The fantastic staff at Borderlands Books are the to take your request! Simply call or email those folks, give them your details and I’ll make sure your personalized hard-cover is safely waiting for you.
Does anyone remember the reading with ‘El Siglericus Maximus’ (the ambitious FDO) at Borderlands Books? If so, I’d love to hear from you, join the Palms Mommas & Palms Daddies Facebook Group and share the memories!
- VISIT: Borderlands Books Website and learn about this unique bookstore that sells new and used books and carries only Science-Fiction, Fantasy, Mystery and Horror genres.
- CHECK OUT: Borderlands Books Upcoming Events and Activities!
- SETH HARWOOD INSCRIPTIONS: Get your signed copies from Borderland Books! Simply call: (888) 893-4008 or email your personalization request to: Office@Borderlands-BooksDotCom.
- FACEBOOK EVENTS: Seth Harwood appearance and reading at Borderlands Books on July 24th, 2016. Let everyone know you’re coming!.
- SIGN-UP and JOIN “Harwood’s Palms Mammas and Palms Daddies” Facebook Group and leverage that social-media goodness.
- JOIN THE NATION: Get event and appearance updates direct from YOUR BOY.
EXTENDED Q&A from the Mysterious Bookshop, NYC
I’M BACK!… with more from my live event at the Mysterious Bookshop this past May. New York City’s famous Mysterious Bookshop is your home (and mine) for all things crime fiction, and a regular stop on any crime novelist’s book tour. We had a great time that night that included a wonderful discussion about the writing process and craft, as well as how I created my newest characters: Clara Donner and Danny Hendricks. If you already have your copy of EVERYONE PAYS you know whom I’m talking about, if not go get your copy today!
Presented here is the whole video in full.
- JOIN THE NATION and SUBSCRIBE! Add yourself to my email list so you won’t miss an issue of Seth Harwood’s Crime Blotter.
- LISTEN: and catch the stream of the Extended Q&A Audio (without having to stare at your computer).
- DOWNLOAD: the Extended Q&A Audio and take the MP3 file with you.
- BBQ ESSENTIALS: buy extra copies of EVERYONE PAYS for all the summer Q’s you hit this year. (You know they’ll love it!)
- CHECK OUT: a REAL Bookstore! The Mysterious Bookshop of Manhattan has ALL THE GOODS! Anything you might love in the name of crime fiction!
You can also DOWNLOAD or STREAM the audio below. Have fun!
MAY 12, 2016 — Seth Harwood reads from EVERYONE PAYS at Boston’s Noir @ the Bar
Trident Booksellers & Cafe’s ongoing author appreciation events bring a new installment to the long running national series Noir @ the Bar. Listen as Seth takes to the podium to read from the newest crime novel: EVERYONE PAYS.
This podcast features Chapter One of EVERYONE PAYS, taking you along for a homicide investigation into one of the city of San Fransisco’s uglier cases. Meet my newest protagonist: Clara Donner — Detective with the San Fransisco Police Department.
Check it all out over at ShoutEngineDotCom.
- STREAM: Seth Harwood reading from EVERYONE PAYS from “Noir @ the Bar”.
- SINGLE-CLICK DOWNLOAD: the May 12th podcast and get it right on your device.
- VISIT: Trident Booksellers & Cafe, Newbury Street in Boston.
- CHECK OUT: the calendar of upcoming events at Trident Booksellers and future Noir @ the Bar gatherings.
- BUY: your own copy of EVERYONE PAYS over at Amazon.
#Noir @ the Bar #EVERYONE PAYS #Amazon #Trident Booksellers & Cafe #CrimeWav #ShoutEngine
LIVE from NEW YORK it’s…
YOUR BOY reading from EVERYONE PAYS!! (Of course!!)
No need to stay up late! Or make a trip to NYC… or even leave your computer!
On Friday May 6, 2016 the purposeful visitors and unbidden patrons of The Mysterious Bookshop in lower Manhattan had the singular opportunity to hear a teasing selection from my new novel. We love those folks at The Shop!! Thank you all for hosting my reading and meet-up! And special thanks to everyone who came out to see YOUR BOY, those who ordered signed copies, and those who generally like a good author event!
Here’s the YouTube clip of my First Installment. This 19-minute video has me reading Chapter Six and Chapter Nine of EVERYONE PAYS, for those of you following along at home. If you’re looking to feed those ear-holes; the audio-only version is also available for stream or download. Check out the links below and find your vice!
Watch for the Second Installment with full Q&A coming soon… Enjoy!
- Site for the Mysterious Bookshop in NYC. Great events, books, signed copies & more!
- Watch, comment & share! YOUR BOY’s on the YouTube! (19 min. video clip).
- Listen-up and stream the AUDIO from May 6th’s Mysterious Bookshop Read.
- GRAB & GO! Download May 6th’s Reading (MP3) for your devices!
- Subscribe at iTunes to get all the Seth Harwood Audio Goodies!
- Syndicate your Feed and get it all from Seth Harwood Audiobooks at FeedBurner!
- Get EVERYONE PAYS for your digital bookcase over at GoodreadsDotCom.
- Buy EVERYONE PAYS, get your own Dead-Tree Edition and support YOUR BOY!
- Read EVERYONE PAYS and write an emphatic review over at Amazon.
- Join The Nation and keep up with Seth Harwood-related News & Events.